grass in bed after string trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by katrena, May 7, 2004.

1. katrena

katrena LawnSite Member

Hi Guys! Please don't laugh at this one, but can anyone tell me how to string trim around pristine beds without getting grass in them? Right now, a couple of my customers still have rye grass in their lawns and it's growing like crazy. Needs cutting probably every 5 days, but I'm only doing them once a week. Grass is probably 5 inches high around beds. And long blades of it are flying all in the beds! Thanks for any tips......

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

try trimming right to left yet? and go slow.

3. katrena

katrena LawnSite Member

No, as a matter of fact, I'm always left to right...Thanks...

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the rotation of the head of the trimmer, as you are holding it. When the string hits the blade of grass, the next thing you want it to do is rotate AWAY from the bed, and NOT TOWARDS the bed. Therefore...counterclockwise...right to left, and clockwise...left to right. Just need to spend a minute and think it out. Give it a try.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on which way your trimmer head turns. If it rotates counter-clockwise then you trim from right to left, and just the opposite if it turns clockwise. Another thing that will help is putting a OCDC on the mower.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, have to agree rotation. But I do know that sometimes that rotation doesn't always work how you want it. So of course, I take a blower to the beds

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not only will you be throwing grass into the beds, but you will also be spoiling the edges on walks and drives of you are traveling in that direction. This can also lead to grass staining concrete - grounds for dismissal.
    Alaways go around islands of grass counterclockwise (witha counter-clockwise rotating head). Go around objects clockwise (right to left).
    And, a little helpful hint, I go around trees like Spruces, counter-clockwise so it throws the debris back under the tree-bed. This way, if you hit things like pinecones, they just end up under the tree, not out into the lawn.

8. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Joe, I do believe you must have a Phd. in trimming.

Would you be interested in a good paying (Arkansas definition of good-paying) position as my trimmer man?

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As long as I can carry my own trimmer and cutters!:)

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

if I'm using a counterclockwise head, and I'm staring straight at the beds, It would knock all trimmings into the beds if you go fromleft to right. Are you using a counter or clockwise head? It seems backwards from everyone elses.