Grass in beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Paulsen, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I want to mulch more but not able to see how to not get grass in the planting beds. With my jd 21" if you go counter clock wise it doesn't put grass in it but with my 33" troy built it doesn't make a difference, grass goes in the bed no matter what. I would like to get a wide cut (48"-60") mower with good mulching ablity but can't see it happening with the grass in the beds. Do you guys with Exmark have this problem?
  2. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

There are mulch kits available for your mowers. I have one for my Bunton 36" but have yet to install it. It cost me $200. My buddy who uses Xmarks has installed his and swears by them but he is not able to cut in the rain or very wet grass because of clumping and he spends alot of time blowing clumps during the rainy season. The kit is simply a large steel insert you bolt to the underside of the deck which creates an air tight mulching chamber and of course blocks the discharge chute. Grass in beds is a constant problem for me too. I always side discharge with gator blades. i read some discussions of double blading, maybe that's the solution combined with the kit.
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

With a side discharge all you have to do is point it away from beds...sure there will be sections that this may not be possible, but any clippings can be dispersed with a blower without blowing too much mulch. Try the double blade set-up and "mulching" will be a thing of the past.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Try cutting around the perimeter 2-3 times depending on heighth of grass and then when you turn you should have the discharge chute towards the lawn and not the beds.

Once in a great while for whatever reason we encounter a lawn where no matter what there are ornamental beds to contend with. I often wind up pulling the units backwards in sort of a "u" turn to avoid dispersing the clippings into the beds. It might take an extra 5 minutes or so but the beds are clean and the customers are happy.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 33" Troybilt, They all are mulching mowers. Put the plug in and mulch around the beds. I have never had any blow out problems with my 33". If any grass still get in the beds do a quick blow with a blower.