Grass in flower beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Jun 12, 2002.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

How do you guys keep the grass out of your customers flower beds when you are side discharging?
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow two passes blowing away from beds. I usually will mow perimeter in two circles then start the laps (stripes). Sometimes it is unavoidable and the blower is used to clean up.
  3. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

just as scraper said, mow a few away or bag
  4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on scraper's reply.:D
  5. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

We mulch instead of using side shoot. Seems to work well at keeping grass out of flower beds.
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I was having that problem alot (beds and houses, cars!). With some of my smaller, tighter yards doing two perimeter passes wasn't do-able.
    I decided to put my mulch kit on (Exmark metro 36"). And this has solved that problem.
    Only down side is occasional stringers left that blades don't hit for some reason. But I wack them with string trimmer as I'm trimming around yard. Easier then dealing with the extra mess made with side discharging.
  7. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

two words that solve 95% of the grass in flowerbed bit.

to me it gives a cleaner cut not having any grass clippings on top of the grass to turn brown.

8. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

As said just 2 passes blowing away from beds/cars however occassionaly you will encounter situations where a bed lies only a few passes adjacent to another bed. In this case I do my best to direct the clippings away but when some do get in the bed I get my blower and blow them out right away before they dry up. They disperse much easier that way. Once the clippings dry (and this only takes a few minutes) it's almost impossible to blow them out.