Grass in Hostas

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, Mar 30, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay, here's what I've got.

Is there anything I can use over the top of already established Hostas that'll keep grass from coming up through the plants as well??

I'm already using Treflan to keep other weeds out, but this grass is already established, although not up yet for the season here in MN, since the ground temps are too cold yet.

I don't believe the Treflan will work if I go put it down right now, before the grass starts to grow this year, will it??

Thanks,

Jeremy

2. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Venture

wierd, it wouldnt let me subit a one word answer. anyhoo I dont know if hosta is on the label, maybe not, but this is a selective that controls grass weeds in broadleaf ornamentals.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

4. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Cool, take the active ingredient from the venture label and do a search. Its that specific a.i. that you will be looking for. Im in Canada and this product was my only access to that a.i. In the states you can get things like Ornamec and Ortho Grass-B-Gone which may be the same a.i. with similar selective control.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

2b Organic -

You wouldn't have a website that I can get that off of, would you???

So far I looked, and the only thing I can come up with is Syngenta's Canadian website. They don't even list it on Syngenta's US website.

Maybe it's not allowed in the US??

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Two products that will work are Poast and Fusilade. They kill only grasses. The Treflan will not work on established grasses; quackgrass.

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if the grass isn't up yet, try using pendulm 3.3 ec for grass, and add gallary for the broadleaf weeds (both are pre-emergnt's) but check the lable www.turffacts.com (pendulum) and www.dowagro.com (gallary)