1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass in rocks is a pain!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Jul 14, 2003.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who has a few beds with nothing but rocks. Well, rocks and grass that keeps growing up between them, which he has asked me to get rid of. I could pull all of the grass out by hand, but this would be alot of labor and it's just going to come back. I guess I need to know if there is a chemical I can spray on it to sterilize the ground underneath the rocks, or if I have to take all the rocks out and put some kind of material under the rocks?
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a pesticide license you can use post emergent herbicides such as Round Up to kill the existing weeds, and you can use pre emergent herbicides such as Gallery to help prevent those weeds from germinating again. If you are not licensed, find a local contractor who is and subcontract the applications to them. You can search the Pesticide Forum to find plenty of info on these products.
  3. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

Needing a license to spray roundup has to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard. Just go ahead and spray it.
  4. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Use round up now mixed w/ a pre-emergent weed control. I personally use surflan for pre-emergence on rock bed and mulch beds work great. Another thing, tried a new product this year "Razor" an alternative to round up- works just as good and is cheaper by the 2 1/2 gal jug. Razor is put out by riverdale.

As far as being certified, do your self a favor and sub out the work if your not a certified applicator.

MESSAGE TO ALL: if your not a certified applicator - don't let me catch you in my neighborhood. I spend alot of money maintaining my pest cert every year and have no problem dropping a quarter on a Law breaker. The law's are in place for a reason, follow them and don't take money out of my pocket.

By the book landscaper.
  5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

Hope youwere kidding. It may be a pain but it is the law.
    Oh wait, I see you are from my area. That must have been your round up mistakes I fixed for a new customer I just picked up

Just kidding, hope you were too. If not rethink it, and may all be well for your business in this city.
  6. azturfpro

azturfpro LawnSite Member
    from arizona

Ditto on what hortboy said . So far this year I have helped structural pest bust 26 unlicensed applicators in Arizona . You don't got numbers on your truck , I will take your photo and turn you in . One company made up of those from mexico not even legal to be in this country had a case of fumitoxin on their truck . This is a VERY dangerous product in untrained hands .
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

After the weeds die out from the round up have you ever tried using a propane torch to burn the dead grass out instead of pulling it out. I'm thinking of getting one of them to try out.
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Until, that is, the Agriculture dept. enforcement official hands you a summons and you spend $5,000 in costs and fines. But go ahead, roll those dice if you feel lucky.
  9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Giving that kind of advice sure is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in this forum.
  10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Just have the homeowner spray it with round-up. The thing I find interesting is someone who cares for lawn does not know about round-up...