grass in sidewalk cracks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Oct 23, 2007.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, i have a house that have a severe amount of grass thats grown between the cracks that has never been delt with by the previous grass cutter. and im wondering if they make a blade of some kind or somethin that u can use that will make cleanin the cracks a breeze. i jus saw on little wonders site that they have a crack cleaner, but they said that it was for preparing 2 seal the cracks. sooo does any1 no a tool that i can use to get grass out of the sidewalk cracks. if yall want some pictures posted, i can post some on sun of what im talkin about. thanks for your help.

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Spray Pramitol in the spring and no grass will grow for a year. Just be wary of run-off.

Or use a line trimmer on its side to get the line into the cracks.

3. TheChiefsLawnCare

ok, but this is like years worth of overgrown grass

4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

jus get it the size of the blade sooo it will fit the edger. yeah i saw somethin like this on little wonders site and i was wondering if that would work on a mclane edger. soo that grinder thing u sent me, that will work with a years worth of over grown grass between the cracks. because i started to use a flat shovel and it was killin in in 100 degree weather sooo i jus gave up. but ill deff go take a look at that. thanks

6. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

It was 60 degrees today! And overcast.
    Was that you using the shovel in Kenner?

7. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

another option is when you wear out your edger blade ,save it and use it just for crap like this

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

haha S A L, lol this was bac in may, yeah i no, i was waiting for the cooler weather after all that rain yesterday. nooo im cuttin grass 2morrow but ill work on that sidewalk next time i cut it.

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

round up with a premerge surflan or orzlyin

10. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

roundup and pramitol or some other brand of soil sterilizer. the soil sterilizers have to hit the dirt. the rain can wash it down to the dirt and it will work. only spray the cracks, if it runs out into the grass your screwed. soil sterilizers kill all the nutrients in the soil so nothing has anything to feed of of to grow. if you just spray roundup alone then the seed thats presently in the dirt will grow up through the cracks or seed that blow into the cracks.