grass is dying

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguy2003, Jun 8, 2004.

1. lawnguy2003

lawnguy2003 LawnSite Member

ok i just got this large industrial site for mowing maint. and the garss was in bad shape well over 5" we mowed and bagged (walker 48'' GHS) now here is the problem the is a build up of thatch in the front of the building and the grass is turning brown is thin my question is it a bad time of the year to dethatch and reseed and/or how would you guys a handle this type of problem.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

did you actually do a soil probe? or because the lawn is browning out you think its thatch. what type of grass? how tall was it? what did you cut it down too? you sure its not disease or was disease ( red thread has come and gone on most lawns and now there are 1-5'' circles of dead leafs on the grass plant ) ? also i've started the to see some copper spot and dollar spot poping up on some of my lawns in the same type of situation that you are describing.copper spot ( on bent grass) and dollar spot ( on blue grass and fine fescues ) will both give the apearance that the lawn may be dying; look at the grass closer and see if there are any red, brown, & yellow spots on the leaves. the lawn was too wet to cut, so they were stressed out to begin with with over 6'' of rain in may 4'' of that coming in one week. add in taking foot tall grass down to 5'' thats just asking for trouble. but the lawns were all fertized last week so the disease should grow out here very soon.

3. lawnguy2003

the grass was about a foot high and we cut it down to 4'' (that is as high as the deck will go) i know that it cause stress to the grass when you cut more than an inch of at a time. the leaves of grass are a yellowish brown color i check the thatch and it really doesnt seem to be as bad as what i thought do you have any ideas on what i should do.

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

it could also be leaf spot. thats what it sounds like when you say it has yellow and brown spots. fertilize the lawn that will help grow the disease out. fungicides are a waste of time if you could even get any, they could take 2 applications and even then the disease won't do much damage. that is as long as you get the lawn some food, try either lesco 36-3-7 with 30%scu or 32-5-7 with 50% scu.

5. lawnguy2003

im going to give it a try and see what happens thanks i will probably through in an aeration too