Grass is thinning out?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Above & Beyond Landscape, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Above & Beyond Landscape

Above & Beyond Landscape LawnSite Member

I just laid down some new ST. Aug on this lady's yard. It grew great for about a month untill i cut it for the first time. Now everytime i go back to mow it, looks more and more dead everytime. Please help?

:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

2. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

St. Augustine grass is susceptible to a number of turfgrass diseases including brownpatch, SAD, gray leaf spot, Helminthosporium, Pythium, rust, downy mildew and others. All of these diseases, except SAD, are caused by fungi and can be controlled by good management and fungicides. SAD is a virus disease for which there is no chemical control. Only resistant varieties of St. Augustine grass are effective against this disease. Floratam, Seville, Raleigh and several experimental varieties have shown good resistance to the SAD virus.

Brownpatch and gray leaf spot are the most serious diseases caused by fungi attacking St. Augustine grass. Although these diseases rarely kill St. Augustine, they severely weaken and thin the grass to the degree that the lawn is unsightly. Preventive applications of fungicides are most effective against these diseases.

Some Pictures Would Help...