Grass just ain't growing in NJ

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, May 3, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

In New Jersey,

Anybody else notice the ground is already dry and the grass just ain't growing like a weed at this time, when it should be????
    Pete

2. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

southeast surburbs of chi town just got wet this week ton of rain and it is hard to keep up and the grass is growing rigoriously

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know about you Pete, but I got the blades as high as they can go and I still can't keep up. Had to double cut a boat load of lawns last week just to make them look presentable. And a couple of em I could have run over them a third time, but enough is enough:dizzy:

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

They must not have been fed last fall - Most of ours are growing fast too.

5. Doc Pete

I guess I'm just looking at this time last year, I had already been cutting hot and heavy for 3 weeks. But still, don't you find the ground hard???? Is it me????

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Pete

You are looking at last year. QB's tells me that we were at least 2, maybe 3 weeks earlier last year starting up due to that unusually warm winter.

Be careful what you wish for my friend:D

7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: my lawns are ***** deep on a 10 foot indian, some look like we were'nt there last week. tony

8. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The lawns UP here in Passaic and Bergen County (North NJ) Are biiiig....

9. Doc Pete

Must be me......It just seems like the lawns aren't as soft as they should be for this time of year.........

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"Don't know about you Pete, but I got the blades as high as they can go and I still can't keep up. Had to double cut a boat load of lawns last week just to make them look presentable."

Same here. I'm looking at my kids playing in my front yard that was mowed on Wed. and it, and all of the neighbors that I mow are due for another cut already. Was actually just thinking yesterday that I'm going try to push the schedule up to every 6 days for a while & see if that helps (We only do 1.5 -2 days of mowing).

The ground has been dry and hard since we didn't get any rain for a 15 day period. But that hasn't slowed the grass down any. And even the nice rain we got on Friday got soaked in real quick & it looks dry already. Hard to believe after all of the drought busting rain & snow we had over the past 3 months.