Grass Looks Bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cm82pa, May 23, 2007.

1. cm82pa

cm82pa LawnSite Member

I've been mowing a lawn for about five weeks now. Last week he called and said he had a large brown spot. I checked it out and it did, it was down hill from his pool that he also opened that week, concluded he washed some stuff off there. Anyway the yard is developing brown spots here and there he thinks I'm mowing to low (3 inches). I mow all me yards there and I don't have any problems there. A little note: This is the first in five years that he didn't have chem lawn treat his grass, could this have anything to do with it? Is too early for grubs right?

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i'd look at the soil, when was the last time it was renovated? Mowing height should be fine. When was the last time it was fertilized? organic or synthetic? If grubs are what you think, if the grass lifts easily, then the grubs will be evident. Just check all your bases and be certain that you know the problem before taking the next step. Also, we haven't had much rain in a while and pretty sunny, warm days...could just be some lds. hope this helps.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Could be any number of things. What's under the soil? Do some probing. My sister's front yard has 4 spots that brown out whenever we go 2 weeks with no rain. Reason? A huuuuuuge irregular boulder. It's anywhere from 4-15' under the soil, and the shallow spots brown out fast.
    Your cust. could have gotten sloppy w/ the pool chemcials, seen that before. Yes, it could be grubs, or a disease, or just drought. Bring some samples to your local ag. extension service, or try you local Lesco or colleges.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

dont konw of you Guys know this or have ever done it, But where I live Texas A&M is just right up the street " well and around the corner " But most major Universtiys have a LAB.... when I have issues like this I take a soil sample and sent it to A&M

with in about a week or so, I get a full report and susguestions....