Grass matting itself HELP

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kM427, Sep 16, 2013.

1. kM427

kM427 LawnSite Member

I have two lawns that seem to give me trouble every year at the same time of the year. It seems that the grass grows long and mats itself to the point that it dies in areas. I replant and in the spring its the best on the block till july. It smells mildew. lime and all treatment are done. Sprinkler is good and working the coverage. Limit water or increase water doesn't matter... New blades are used and its bagged. Mower set to 3 1/2...inch......UUUGGGHHH Help Thanks

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Check your calcium levels. Overall do a soil test. If your grass isn't strong enough to sit up on its own something is wrong. Is this happening in the shade?

3. kM427

kM427 LawnSite Member

mostly entire lawn is affected. Area that dies is partial sun. Lawn looks great until July and then mats itself thus looking horrible and dying in areas.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Cut it shorter... stop bagging the clippings...

5. kM427

kM427 LawnSite Member

that's a idea. I will try 3inch next year.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Seeding/reseeding/overseeding in Sept is preferable to Springtime. Also, imho Spring fert creates too much topgrowth...though, I can see using a starter fert when seeding in the Spring.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

A starter fertilizer will cause excessive topgrowth in the Spring just like any other N source will...

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

That is the correct answer.