Grass not growing much for spring?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, May 7, 2005.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been mowing for six years now and this is the first year that I have not had to deal with high grass in May. I live in NW Ohio and wondering if anyone else is dealing with this. I hope its not the beginning of an early drought. Every account I have is growing very slow and some are starting to get a little crispy from the sunny days we been having with not much rain. Usually by now I am double cutting, blowing lawns to hide clippings and I have not done that once yet.

Lasher

2. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Same here in S.E. Wisconsin.

3. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Its probably because of the cold mornings we've been having around here. Usually the normal overnight low should be in the high 40s-mid 50s--but the low lately has been in the mid 30s. It is going to start getting back to normals soon, according to weather.com

Jason

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish it would rain I had to water the lawn today. But I'm kind of glad its not growing to fast because I'm very sick. Takes me twice as long to mow right now.

5. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

We need warmer air day and night temps to make it grow faster. I know here in the northeast we can use some mroe rain. Also think about your soil temps. Soil temps are also still cold. Give it time.. im sure in a few weeks you will be wishing it wasnt growing fast as your working 7 days a week till dark

6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it has been slow growing here for last 2 weeks. We had several nights that got BELOW FREEZING. I think that helped put the brakes on growth. We are ABOVE NORMAL in RAIN, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Mike

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Same thing here in florida but here it has to do with no rain. Got some this week, so the easy cutting is over soon.

8. ToroLover

ToroLover LawnSite Member

Here in PA grass is growing slower than the normal fast rate like other spring seasons. It sure makes for easier cutting.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Send it my way. I would love to not mow 5-9" of growth a week. It has rained 5 out of 7 days here and I cant keep a normal schedule.

10. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

We have had snow three weeks ago, then rain for three weeks and that woke up the grass. Been cutting off 4 - 6 inches of grass.