Grass on Gravel??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Bigbladesblazin, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Bigbladesblazin

Bigbladesblazin LawnSite Member

First time asking something on this site - looks amazing - very helpful information
    I recently bought a home and the previous owners have extended the driveway all the way to the backyard fence!?, they have removed 1/2 of the Asphalt and added 1" gravel, which makes for a not so warming backyard.

I would like to add grass instead of the rocks, and was wondering how deep I should dig out some gravel and add dirt before the Grass.
    I am thinking about using the sod, not seeds

2. ToniDavies

ToniDavies LawnSite Member

I hope someone can answer this question because I would like to know the answer as well I have the same problem.
    Toni

3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

3" is ok 6" is good as long as most of the stones are up you should have no problom whatso ever

4. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

Take all the gravel out and put in topsoil somewhat compacting it but not too much because you want the roots of the sod to catch just enough so that when the soil settles it dosent leave a lowspot.

Chris

5. Bigbladesblazin

Bigbladesblazin LawnSite Member

"Take all the gravel out and put in topsoil somewhat compacting it but not too much because you want the roots of the sod to catch just enough so that when the soil settles it dosent leave a lowspot."

what if the gravel goes super deep? would 1 foot of topsoil be enough (im also In MOntreal - crazy winters)

6. iand

iand LawnSite Senior Member

6" is probably deep enough for anyone reading this in a warmer climate one of my clients has a great lawn [Kikuyu] growing straight on top of an old gravel car parking area

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The asphalt having been there will create more hindrance than the gravel being there. take it down atleast a few inches and add topsoil. Go out just a bit wider than the drive was, also.