1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass overgrown...which stick?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Currier, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I know "search"
    It seems we have a nice debate stick vs trimmers. I have always used trimmers but I find several times a year where I can make $$ by cutting in edges that have overgrown. Lots of these properties have concrete curbing twists and turns. It would seem that a wb edger would be of little use.
    SO....youse that use them. I want to know the most powerful stick on the block. I'm seeing stihl fc85, redmax is also an option as is echo and possibly shind.
    Any help?

P.S. Mainly Kentucky blue and some fescue
  2. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

The new Stihl straight shaft is the best stick edger on the market. Has every bit as much power as the Red Max, and costs about $125 less.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa LE 230 or 260
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

So, you've done extensive side by side testing with EVERY edger made to prove this information?
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the FC85 Stihl, and I cut bermuda that grows over edges on a weekly basis. This edger is bad az$. I can run thru a job that hasn't been done is a year or longer and it never even slows it down. As fast as I can walk it will knock it out.
  6. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I purchased a husquvarna stick edger a few weeks back and it's really great.... lightweight, good power, anti-vibration features. It really pays to have one of these, I to do a lot of trimming and edging with the trimmer but sometimes you get a cleaner edge with the stck edger.
  7. Shindaiwa 260 you will luv it
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The new Stihl FC85 straight shaft is a real workhorse. I love mine:D