1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

grass packer ? is any one use it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by i dig it inc, Jan 17, 2010.

1. i dig it inc

i dig it inc LawnSite Member

2. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used one about ten years ago and the tip of the blade shattered it into pieces, it would fall off and the blade tip would hit it and this happened very often until it was unusable I think it lasted two weeks with duct tape and zip ties holding it together. I have used all other catchers with no problems. They may have redesigned it but it looks exactly the same to me.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

PM sent. It should answer some of your questions.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've had mine forever. I've had zero problems out of it and it's a rare day when it falls off and it's never been hit by the blades. They're comparably weighted to the other catchers and the easiest to empty. I had a Gobbler before and the door rusted out in just a couple of years. I can throw mine in the back of the truck, the trailer, where ever and it's sustained no damage.

[​IMG]

5. i dig it inc

i dig it inc LawnSite Member

thank you all for your help
    roger thank you. now i now how it look and work in the real world. why you not using it for leaf pickup?

6. becpropertymaint.

becpropertymaint. LawnSite Senior Member

looks alittle flimsy to me

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Leaf pickup -- fills up too rapidly, and I don't want to stop that often to dump. Also, the slots in the sides make it very dirty while sitting on the ZTR seat. The dusty conditions usually found with leaf work could make the use of a GP very difficult. Even dry grass can make the debris blow through the slots. Also, I have found other ways to deal with leaf pickup that does not include using the baggers on mowers.

Notice the cover that Richard Martin has put on the inside of his unit. I suspect the cover is there to prevent so much debris blowing out the slots, back toward the machine.

8. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

For the price and being plastic, go with a grass gobbler or accelator bagger. Thoes will hold up better then plastic id imagine.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The GrassPacker's poly is about twice as thick as the gas tank on your mower and you trust your life to that.

10. becpropertymaint.

becpropertymaint. LawnSite Senior Member

how much grass will that bagger hold