Grass Packer??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by morturf, May 7, 2002.

1. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Grass Packer catcher. I was wondering if anybody has used one of these and what your opinion of it is. I am looking at using it on a Wright Stander. Appreciate your help.

BRIAN FOLEY LawnSite Member
    from ERIE,PA

go with the grassgobbler they work great. Brian
  3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

Grass packers work great. if you don't have some type of bagging system attached to your mower, these things are much better than any other type of traditional bagger. they are made out of very sturdy plastic, and the part which actually attaches to the mower bracket is made out of metal.

Before we actually purchased one, i literally jumped on it 3 or 4 times to see if I could break it. The dealer guaranteed that I couldn't.

We bought one Two years ago, ang it is still like new. While on the other hand, our factory Bobcat bagger has been welded twice, and is on its last legs.

If you do indeed decide to purchase one of these, after you installthe bracket to your mower, would suggest braze weding it together. Otherwise the bolts will not secure all the pieces in place that well.

There was previous post which there was talkabout the grass gobbler, and i had mistakenely thought that our bagger was also a grass gobbler. Once the season was under way, I realized my mistake when i saw the name grass packer on the bagger.
  4. morturf

from midwest

Hey thanks ohiolawn. Appreciate your input. Any others greatly appreciated too!!
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I had done a search on here last year about baggers. I was really interested in the Grass Packer also because of its lighter weight, BUUUUUT it seemed that most of the posts about them were negative.

I don't recall anyone that LOVED it. So I went with a metal Grass Gobbler. I hate the weight of it! Especially when full!.

Ohiolawnguy, where were you when I was looking? LOL!

Oh well, live and learn. Mike if you get one be sure to give us your review.
  6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

why don't you buy an accelerator aluminum catcher. nice light weight and packs well even with mulching blades. i had one of the grass packers. it didn't have enough air flow to pack properly so i drilled about 200 3/8 holes in it,it helped some but still didn't do the job.
  7. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

go getter. sorry, but i must have been a day late and a dollar short. BTW, you think the grass gobbler is eavy, then try our twice fabricated bobcat bagger. it weighs 40 pounds before a blade of grass is in it. a whole bunch of angle iron and metal plates will do that.-LOL

As far as the whole issue of airflow is, there is some truth to that. but that is why they call it a grass packer. stop, pull the bagger of push the grass to the back, and continue on. it does hold more than the average bagger though, and is good for lawns slighlty covered in leaves too.

I think the main reason we bought it is that it is fairly indestructable. when i used to run the mowers more frequently, i was the main bagger guy. a bagger would last us about four years if i was using it. now, with the people we have now, they last two to two and a half years, including major fabrications

We don't really bag that much grass either.

if you intend on having others use it, your better off with the grass packer.
    if it is just for yourself, and yourself only, a metal or aluminum type may be the better way to go.
  8. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

I was wondering about the picture you have under your name- is that a Wright Stander with a spreader on the front? Did you take the deck off to make this work if that is what it is? I was kind of wondering because I have a 52 Stander. Just curious.
  9. morturf

from midwest

It is a Wright that has been modified. I had a guy make it for me he is now marketing it as a Z-spray. If you want more info let me know. Also thanks for the extra input on the bagger.