1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass+Pool dont mix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrbenfer, Jul 3, 2003.

1. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I'm still new so bare with me.

Ok here is the problem. I mow this account that has a fairly large pool in the backyard. I bag the grass and clear off any clippings left from trimming away from the pool. But for some reason grass still gets into the pool. (When i leave there is no grass in water, just later in the day)
    I have not seen how much grass has been blown into the pool myself but by the way these people described it.....

Now these people are very picky.... In fact they are Lesbians - I've had a hard time pleasing any older lesbian couples.
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you trimming around fence? Or is there a fence? We put a deluted round up around fence areas on pools and it helps with this problem (not perfect but better) Less trimming!
  3. alex516

alex516 LawnSite Member

Don't fret, Drop them, and give me their #, I'll arrange doing them for free..........

:D :D :D
  4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Later in the day......
    Just a thought but are they using the pool after you leave?
    My thought is there tracking it in there them selves.
  5. Even if bagging, anywhere from 25 to 35% is not picked up. So if they walk on it while lawn is wet or with wet feet, tracking it in that way.

Also, if you mow first then trim, try reversing order. See if that helps.

If that doesn't work, drop them like a hot potato. You will never please them, but offer this service to them, get a shop vac and vacuum the area for them.
  6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Not to get off track here, but what difference does it make whether your customers are straight, gay, lesbians, or bisexuals? So long as they pay their bills, thats really all you should worry about.
  7. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

Is the customer on a contract? If so put a clause. We will make every attempt to keep clippings from getting in the pool.
  8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

My two are just great at tracking it around and it does get in the pool.
    More from my sons and my feet though.
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Reality = Swimming pools, mowing grass, equals grass clippings in pool.
    Used to build pools, made decks as wide as possible just for that reason.

Are you working alone? If you have helper, have them use blower (away from pool) while you're cutting.

Is this account worth a great deal? Why are you putting up with the amount of grief that you are?

Sometimes a persons preference does make a difference. Many of the type girls described can not be pleased by anything done by a male, that's a fact jack.
  10. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Well, this brings up some "stupid questions", if anyone has some answers. I seem to have more and more customers with swimming pools in the back yard. I notice that it is hard not to get clippings into the pools. The helper with a blower is a good idea (but I don't have a helper). What I'm wondering about is what happens to the clippings. I know nothing about swimming pools. So does someone have to clean them out? Does the pool filter such stuff out by itself? It seems like lots of people have pool services. Are they like removing this stuff with those big nets? It seems like whether from lawn mowing or whatever, there would always be leaves and stuff getting into the pool. Just kind of wonder how big of a deal it is to get clippings into a pool. Like do people expect it or is it some big hassle that they have to deal with. I don't plan on crossing the line into pool cleaning, but do some LCO's actually clean pools to get clippings out after they mow? Also, in above scenario, it does seem likely that clippings could be tracked into pool from yard later.