grass question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ffemt1271, Oct 6, 2003.

1. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i recently bought a house with a st augustine grass lawn.

there is about 5-10% "other" grass in the lawn due to neglect.

what is the easiest way to rid the lawn on the "other" grasses?
  2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Find out what the "other" grass is and I'll tell you how to rid it with a "selective herbicide" Ya gota know what sort of grass ya dealing with before you treat it so you can buy the right product.
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Scotts weed & feed for St. Augustine, works great for my yard, and customers. I usually apply at 2/3 the rate they say to, then hit it again in two-three weeks. Dunno if it's too late to apply in your area.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you have a need to 'get rid of it now',
    just fertilize and mow almost as usual. Difference being to cut higher than you might normally, at least 3", maybe even 3 1/2" in spring. St. Aug will choke out the rest pretty quickly.
  5. regnort

regnort LawnSite Member

Gonna agree with Goat on that answer. If you kill the other grass out you run the risk of getting weeds in its place. If you can give it a season and can cut the lawn at 3.5+ it will choke out most other grasses I have seen in the south. The only ones I would kill would be large clumps of Bermuda or Zoysia. If you have to kill the existing grass try to dig some plugs from an area of the lawn that won't be noticable to fill in with, St Aug runs pretty quick.

Good Luck

6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm going to try that, i'm in no big hurry, but was wanting to know what i am up against to get rid of it.
    Thanks for your replies