Grass Recommendations

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Bert's Landscaping, May 8, 2007.

1. Bert's Landscaping

Bert's Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was wondering what types of grass or brand names have people used that grew well. I have a couple of yards that could use some improvement. I have been buying grass seed from retail stores (such as Wal Mart). I live in NC and have some good soil and some areas with sandy soil. I'm sure I need to do a soil analysis for the content for fertilizing. I typically use a Bermuda and Fescue mix. Is this good? I think I have been using Scotts Bermuda and I don't recall the fescue seed name. Any insight would be appreciated. We seem to do well with landscaping and designing but have problems with the grass growing department.
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Here is some really good fescue grown in your own state. SOUTHERN GOLD!!!!!
    Its the best fescue my company has ever used. Really dark green, drought resistant, and brown patch resistant.
  3. Bert's Landscaping

Bert's Landscaping LawnSite Member

Is Fescue the best to grow in this state? If not what? I thought fescue was more of a cold weather grass and it will turn brown during the hot summer months. That is why we were mixing fescue with bermuda. The bermuda being a better warm climate grass. Where can you get Southern Gold?
  4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

You can buy it online or at Lowes. My lawns stay dark green until they go dormant. People who loose their stand of fescue don't know how to properly cut or care for it. It is a perrenial.

SKIQUATTRO LawnSite Member

What would you reccommend for Long Island, NY area of the country?
  6. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Is now a good time to put out grass seed in NC?
  7. beaglegun

beaglegun LawnSite Member

Figure out what zone your in and use the seed that performed best. The site below is the best way to purchase the best seed for your area.