1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass seed and Soil Prep Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Big M LawnnSnow, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

I just looked at a yard and the customer wants it reseeded with a good quality seed,
    The entire area is in shade with lots of moss growing everywhere.
    He dosen't want to bring in tons of top soil.
    What kind of soil prep would you do and what seed would you use?
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably look at a good shade mix, containing mostly red fescue.

If there is a stand of grass already there, I'd probably suggest slit seeding, otherwise you need to work it up like any other lawn install.

3. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Take a picture and post it so we can get an idea of the soil conditions. That would be your best bet.

As far as seed, Lesco Team Mates blend. You can't go wrong with this mix. The mix is all turf type tall fescues and perennial ryegrass. We have had outstanding results with it. It is drought tolerant, does very well in the shade and has great color and texture. Can't ask for too much more from a seed mix.
  4. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

First thing I would do is a soil test. With the moss their ph is off. D Felix and Good Earth are right about the seed choice. I wouldn't do it until the fall. I have the best results overseeding with fescue between September 15th-October 10th.
  5. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

Cutter's is right about the soil test. If there's moss there, there's a problem.
    Make sure you get a PROVEN shade mix for your area. It would be worth the extra effort to get in touch with a seed distributor that could put you in touch with someone that's used a mix and SHOWS you the results.
  6. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Are there tree roots popping through the lawn as well?

There are some areas where grass just won't grow. Pictures would be nice but here is what I tell clients about planting grass in DEEP SHADE. The seed will sprout and fill in great, but the test is what happens in three to six months. If it is too shady the new grass will thin out until the lawn looks like it did before the seed was planted.

You have three options (1) call an aroborist and have the trees thinned out and depending how many have some removed, (2) plant an agressive groundcover in the shady spots under the trees, or (3) do nothing, a great option for clients who don't wish to spend a lot of money.

Throwing some grass seed down in deep shade is only going to result in a callback down the line when the grass thins out. You are a landscaper, not a miracle worker. Anything is possible but their must be a budget to back it up!
  7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Poor light, poor soil and poor drainage, any two of these conditions and moss can flourish. Soil can be ideal ph range but have poor sunlight and poor drainage and you can still have moss. To cure the moss problem eliminate two of the required conditions. Just planting a shade mix of seed wont cure the problem. Adjust soil ph without improveing drainage or sun light will not cure the moss.
  8. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I think we will do alright.