Grass seed CIL or Scotts

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lynden-Jeff, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I need to do some seeding this year. which I have little experience in. Up here we have no lesco so thats out of the question, I have a choice between scotts and C.I.L. Scotts is more expensive then CIL but they both have all the flashy packaging. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any tips for seeding spares lawns?

Cheers
    Jeff

2. TFmike

TFmike LawnSite Member

brand and packageing aside look at whats in the bag, rye, fescue, blue grass.
    I like to rakethe soil a bit and use one part grass seed and two parts peat moss as a carier, penn mulch or straw also work ok, hydro seed if it's less tan 40% grass cover. Don't forget starter fert and lime if needed

3. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

Im spreaking a couple yards of triple mix. Its pretty thin but to small to hydro seed 1300 sqft. After I spread the seed and starter fert I plan to lightly rake it in and water heavily for a few weeks. Thanks for the info!

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Lynden-Jeff

I actually have another question. Is there any problem with putting down seed this early in spring? If its a little to cold will it still germinate when it gets warm? Should I water even when its cold 2-10C?

Cheers
    Jeff