Grass Seed Germination

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Splicer, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple of properties that I need to do some patch seeding on. The weather has been so damn unpredictable this year there is no rhyme nor reason to the temp swings. I have avoided putting seed down for the fear of freezing overnight temps killing the seeds which ticks the cust off because grass isn't growing and ticks me off because I have to go back to seed again.

My question is am I being overly cautious? I read here on LS that once a seed starts germinating (putting roots down) that they cannot be killed from 32 and below temps? Is that right? Just how long (on average) does it take for grass seed to germinate in the first place?

And one last question. What would be the best way to prepare the ground to accept and grow the seed? Any help will be appreciated.:drinkup:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, it is just the oppopsite of that. I'm not sure where you read that, but it is wrong. You cannot kill seeds by freezing them. Your danger comes from when the seed actually germinates, THEN freezes. This is when the young plant will die off. Once it does this, it's gone - it will never come back. You may have heard the term "harden off" when it comes to turf plants. That is the term for when the plant produces enough strength to hold on through the freeze, put itself into dormancy, and come back.
    The best thing to do, is wait until you know the soil temps are going to be at a steady temp of atleast 50-55 degrees farenheit. When it is this temp for 3-5 days in a row, your seed will begin to germinate.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

were in the same state and your looking at 4-15 at the earliest to seed and expect consistent results. Wait till 5-01 and you won't lose much time in the growth process, its all in the soil temps

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it in Deer Meadows if it is make sure to take a soil sample because the lawns there are really hard to get to grow.

5. oslo

oslo LawnSite Member

Yep, as long as it doesn't start germinating it will be ok, problem comes from when we get stretch of nice weather and it starts to germinate, then freezes.