Grass Seed Germination

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by precator, Sep 8, 2012.

1. precator

precator LawnSite Member

Is it normal to see grass seed germinate in some areas and not so much in other areas. It has only been 7 days and this is a TTTF fescue mix. Lesco Transtion Blend. I know I put seed down where the areas didnt germinate yet. Could some seed germinate quicker than others?

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Absolutely

3. nparish

nparish LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

This is completely normal. Does anyone know the percentage of seeds that will not germinate at all?

4. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

With TTTF, around 85% germination is theoretically possible; in practice, it will be considerably less. However, that has nothing to do with the OP's concern about slow spots.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Many times those slow spots can become never spots... there are so many reasons why those spots aren't germinating so before the others get too far along it doesn't hurt to overseed some more... especially when working with bare soil..

6. maynardGkeynes

Maybe folks can help me on a closely related problem. I did a lawn with several bare spots that I seeded with KBG about 3 weeks ago. A little early for seeding in this area, but I tried it anyway. So now, a few seedlings have popped through sprouted, but what I mostly see is greenish "glow" color just under the soil surface, but its been sitting there doing nothing for a week now, just glowing green so to speak. At first, I thought it was moss, but it's not. It looks like seed that has germinated, but not popped through. Is this normal for KBG? Or should I assume the seed's second stage blew up after launch, which means I should give up and start again? I'd hate to rip it up if its just about to come up, but on the other hand, I can't wait too much longer if its going to get established in time.

7. maynardGkeynes

Ok, never mind my previous post. I went out to the property today, and guess what, the grass sprouted. I looked at the remaining "mossy area" (with my glasses on this time), and it was the grass seedlings like 1/32 of an inch out. I think the heat wave last week slowed them down, but now I think they are growing out.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen grass just sit at 1/2- 1 inch long for ever it seemed... it is normal for them to reach a certain height then put all of its energy to the root development... that is why I back off watering as soon as the seed comes through...

9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

"With my glasses on" - I'll bet that does make a difference.

10. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wonder what that does for the "green glow"?:laugh: