1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass Seed Old?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sglawn, Sep 21, 2004.

1. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

This may be a stupid question, but nobody seems to have a definite answer. I am wondering how long it takes for grass seed to actually get old and the germination rate decrease. Or does that happen at all. I have heard about 1 year after you buy it, but how do you know how long it has been harvested or bagged? Should you find out how lonog it has been bagged or does it matter. Thanks for any responses.
  2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Seed normally stay good for a couple of years. Just like Budweiser, there should be a "born on date" on the bag :)

The best way to check your seed, is to grab a handful and wrap them in a wet paper towel and keep moist for a week or so in a dark, damp place. Make sure you count how many seeds you started with and compare how many germinated. If 20 out of 25 seeds germinated then you have a 80% germination rate. take the percentage you have and apply seed accordingly. Say if only 75% germinate, then apply the seed at a higher rate like 7.5lbs per K instead of 5lbs (if that is what the seed originally called for).

Hope this helps...
  3. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

I really appreciate it that will help.