Grass Seed or Bird Seed ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Sep 2, 2002.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone,

I had a lawn renovation the end of last week to take care of. I tilled it, covered with 3-4 inches of topsoil, rolled and graded, raked it to rough it up again, seeded and rolled with an empty roller to ensure good soil contact. I finished off with the proper amount of penn mulch. I core aerated the rest of the yard, seeded, then rolled that to ensure good soil contact as well .
    The next morning light rains came (the first in a while) and continued for a day and a half....beautiful for the new seed bed.Made me happy knowing mother nature was on my side this Labor Day weekend. :D

Until the F' ing birds showed up today :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

They have been there most of the day eating up the seed. I am hoping that they are there for the insects that I may have disturbed up to the surface....but I don't really think so. I am just telling myself that.

Does anybody know of a repellant (like the spray for deer) to spread or spray on the renovated area ? I saw some seed that was treated last year in a home owner sized bag that was colored and claimed it was to deter birds from eating it, but I didn't see that at Lesco.

Maybe I should have spread the grass seed at 1/2 rate in 1 direction and birdseed in the other to ensure even coverage and feeding ?:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jeffyr:dizzy:

2. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

LMAO... Exact same thing happened to me this wkend!

3. Don't worry, they are only going to eat what they can see.

The grass seed that counts is what's in the ground. That is the seed that is going go germinate. The seed you see most likey waisted seed. It usualy goes to the birds anyways, no punn intended.

Give it time it will look wonderful.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If you put out the correct amount of seed, I really doubt they will do much damage. That would be a lot of seed.

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I agree it shouldn't make a big difference, but it is a disturbing site either way. I've never had that happen to me before
    Or I just don't know about it !:eek: What you don't know can't hurt, right ?

jeffyr