Grass Seed Problems

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnut101, May 8, 2014.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone else have customers that don't water grass seed enough that you install, then try and blame you when it doesn't grow? Or if you're having good results, what type of seed (brand, blend and mix) do you have luck with? What types don't you have luck with? I'm looking for some honest advice, as I'm having a hard time with this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

What type did you seed?

3. Lawnut101

Reinders Landscape 40 seed and Reinders Deluxe 50 seed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of that kind of grass type before

5. Lawnut101

It's a local Tri state company (WI IL MN). The 40 is 40% KBG and the rest is a mix of annual and perennial rye, and fescue. The deluxe 50 is about the same, just more Bluegrass and no annual rye.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Lawnut101

I'm thinking my best bet is just to start planting straight up perennial ryegrass or turf type tall fescue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Almost all my customers Ive ever done any kind of seeding work for dont water enough. I give them all really good, clear watering instructions in the form of a flyer too.

I cant tell you how many times Ive heard "I think you used bad seed" come from a customer.

If you dont think theyre going to water....yeah use rye.

8. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

If they don't have a sprinkler system installed, then I usually put down a rye/fescue mix. Sprinkler system means bluegrass/fescue mix
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 360lawncare

360lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah we did a overseed job last year and nothing grew... I asked the lady how much did you water it she says.... Once a week! Lol well there ya go your fault not ours
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Lawnut101

Well maybe I'll be changing my methods. It just sucks, because they blame us, and we're the bad guys. Any good brands for a rye / fescue mix? Non of my suppliers have anything like that.
    Posted via Mobile Device