1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass Seed Source?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HighGrass, Sep 29, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I am adding aerating and overseeding next year along with mowing and all the other stuff.
    What is a good source for GRASS SEED??
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Try Lesco.
    I have found these guys to be helpful, if you are just starting out like we were. I am sure there are others, but this is the one we've been using. Ask as many questions as you can think of, because your customers are going to do the same. It is better to have some sort of idea what they are talking about!
    Good Luck
  3. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I will agree with twins, that Lesco is a good source for seed. Another good source is Jonathan Green. They are in New Jersey but deliver to MA free with a minimum order.

My real suggestion would be to attend one of the trade shows up there such as New England Grows in Boston this Feb or the New England Turfgrass show in Providence which is smaller but good. That would give you a chance to visit with all the seed suppliers and compare what they have to offer and thier pricing.
  4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

get in touch with a seed company . i use a custom blended fescue which is awesome . i used to buy brand seed like mustang, rebel, falcon etc. but wasnt getting the results that i wanted so now i get a special custom blend its the way to go .
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Can I ask where you got your blend and what does the blend consist of?
  6. baddboygeorge

hey buddy i use a company here called caudill seed company in louisville kentucky. great people to do business with . the y blend a mix for me called triple crown . it consists of three different types of fescue . an to tell ya what three fescues they are i will have to get a tag an get back with ya . any more questions feel free thanks george
  7. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

8. baddboygeorge

everybody is so hyped over lesco products. lesco doesnt impress me at all evrytime i have ever went there they were rude an non helpful. i think lesco products are second line anyway. people see something with a lesco name an go crazy . all in all in my opinion lesco sucks!!!