grass seed spreader for spreading salt?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Dec 25, 2003.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

just curious, can you use a grass seed spreader to spread salt on a driveway, or is the salt too course. anyone try it before and if so, did it work? sorry for the lame thread... just think its a cool concept if it would actually work.

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i imagine that it would work....

BUT make sure you wash it real good before you start to spread fert. again or youll be spreading a wave od death over lawns come spring.

3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

It works fine I spread Side walks that way

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

My broadcast works well but I have to open it almost all the way. Wash it good rite when your done for the day or night so it doesn corrode.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Use my Lesco to broadcast commercial ice melter over large areas, like drive-thru lanes we do at a bank.

Just this winter, I dug a cheap old homeowner Red Devil out of the basement. I was considering selling it for $5 in the next garage sale, but thought I would try ice melter in it.

WOW does that thing work great on sidewalks. Since it is a DROP spreader you don't have to be careful not to over-apply into beds and grass. It really has saved a lot of product. Guess I'll keep the spreader and run it into the ground dropping ice melter. I'll never use it for fertilizer...it would streak the crapp out of a lawn. Only other thing I would trust it for is dropping pelletized lime in a confined area.

KB

6. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

The maintenace department at my full time job just purchased a 3 point seeder for the specific purpose of spreading salt. It has a plastic hopper, and used the PTO of the tractor for the spreader. This thing works great, and was half the price of a regular salt spreader. If I remember right, the seeder was just over $600, and another spreader was about $1400. The other advantage is that it holds much more material than a regular spreader.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Been doing it for years...can use either a broadcast or drop-type. Like mentioned, wash out real well when you're finished to minimize corrosion.

8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

works great

another thing to be careful of though - make sure you take out the little metal agitator clip so it doesnt break your gears b/c the salt is too coarse.

9. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

It will work fine. BUT WASH IT WELL BEFORE SPRING!!!!!! You will kill the first yard you work on in the spring if you dont.

10. zmowing

zmowing LawnSite Member
    from York,PA

It works great .I got a stainless steel one so it don't rust away (lesco):waving: