1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

grass seed test date

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Aug 23, 2006.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

test dates under 6-8 mo old should be exceptional to us as installers. anything longer then that should be sold to us at a reduced price?

i was at a class today and the instructor presented that to us.. i said ya right..
    i got seed Monday with a test date of 08/05
  2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I think most states require the lot be retested after 12 months. I sold seed for many years in VA. and MD. and seldom saw germination rates change much after a year. As a mater of fact, some think older seed germinates just as well if not better than young and in less time.
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Blue grass seed actually works best after it has sat for a year or so. 6-8 month old seed is not old or outdated. I wouldn't buy anything more than 2 years old, unless it had been recently retested. There are federal guidelines for seed purity, and the industry does a good job os seof-policing. there is to much money to be lost by getting a bad reputation as a seed brand.
    As long as you store seed properly, it will keep. One idiot I know stored his in an old storage trailer where daytime temps approached the molten steel levels. His seed was worthless after one summer. One friend of mine used a bag with a 2003 test date on it and it came in great.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The beginng of every new yr. I get a certificate to have any seed I'm holding over tested and recertified. It only takes min. to send in a sample and get the new tag.
    BTW-- I use this as a great selling point as many if not most lco have no idea about the requirments for certification, and the customers are impressed that we use only "new" seed