grass seed - what to get

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CTD_Crazed, Apr 7, 2013.

1. CTD_Crazed

CTD_Crazed LawnSite Member

well my father thought hed do me a favor and he turned on a watering tool which puddled badly and created a "water wash-out" area where the ground has been washed away by the water and really just made a mess. i worked all that out last weekend and he just re created the whole dang thing!

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

3. CTD_Crazed

kiril...thanks for the link but i dont understand any of it past fist paragraph or two.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

CTD, you'll need to become HIGHLY educated to understand that if the ground is getting dry ,,, perhaps turn the sprinklers on and as the ground begins to puddle ,, shut them off...

A lot of 'educated' people use machines to let them know how this process works, becuz it is SO complicated to figure out... :)

My advice is don't overthink it, becuz this time of year we've been getting germination with NO irrigation and the rains come only about once a week...

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Then perhaps you are a candidate for the controller.

6. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

What are the varieties in the seed you just put down? From your pictures, it looks like a challenging area in terms of both light, soil drainage, and erosion control. I think you need to get some turf started real fast with a perennial rye (per agrostis 5/4) and fine fescue (chewings/red), and then try to fill in with with more optimal varieties later. Hope it goes well!

7. CTD_Crazed

well actually, a lot of what ive planted is coming in rather nicely. the seed i laid last weekend is beginning to come in and the first area i planted a few weeks ago is growing nicely.

obviously i do NOT expect full coverage after planting, however, i will continue to over seed a couple times a year until it fills in enough that im happy with the results.

maynard - heres the grass seed ive been planting.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/scotts-turf-builder-grass-seed-midwest-mix/prod10720046/

The Scotts Turf Builder Midwest Mix contains:
    10% Blue Bonnet Kentucky Bluegrass
    10% Kenblue Kentucky Bluegrass
    25% Majesty Perennial Ryegrass
    20% Ascend Perennial Ryegrass
    15% Trapeze Creeping Red Fescue
    20% Boreal Creeping Red Fescue

8. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for posting. Varietally, that looks like a good blend to me. The negative is the low quality of the KBGs, which are obsolete, disease susceptible cultivars. Kenblue is a standard entry in the NTEP bluegrass trials, where it consistently finishes at the bottom for turfgrass quality. I'm surprised that a name-brand company like Scott's would use them, as kenblue and blue bonnet are generic grade. The PRGs are not top tier, but they are fine.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  9. CTD_Crazed

well the main thing to me is its growing - i can always overseed with something better later this year, i just want grass right now haha