Grass seed... what would you use on---

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lazer Cut, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys

Need some help on what to use on day care center playgrounds. There are bare spots and the playground is just thin grass... mostly bluegrass that is just thinned over wear and tear.

I was thinking of a 80/20 blend of perennial rye w/ bluegrass or a 50/50 blend of perennial rye w/ bluegrass. I am having a hard time getting in touch with lesco. Dont say google it and order from them because the link to their grass seed products does not work. Also, there is a John Deere dealer but they have not been able to find out what would work best. The guy is really uninformative for working at the dealer. Only other dealer is a good 30-45 min.

Could someone recommend the type theyd use? I was thinking of dormant seeding next month that way when it starts to warm up the seed will germinate more quickly but a lot of the seed could rot. little inexperienced in this aspect of the lawn care... Any ideas, pit falls, recommendations?

Thanks guys,
    Justin

oh... I know most have insurance but I just got my certificate for insurance!!!!! :cool2: extremely excited!!! landed 7 commercial properties for this upcoming year... sent a copy of my insurance to all of them yesterday. (in my contracts stated that I will provide proof of insurance before starting any work) All were ok with me providing it at a later date. :)

p.s.- if you wanna bash me for asking for help dont leave a comment i dont need your negativity.

2. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I know I am going to get shot down by others for suggesting this. But I planted ky31tall fescue in my backyard this fall and it has outperformed anything I have ever tried, including falcon3,4, rebel, kybluegrass, perenial rye grass. It seemed like the 31 took less time to mature and I can tell it is going to absorb traffic well. The only thing I dislike about it is that the green color is a little lighter than turf type tall fescue. But we are talking about a daycare here where pretty much anything you plant will have wear spots from kid traffic.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I don't believe that grass seed will rot when out on the ground, unless it is dead seed. Warm enough to rot, warm enough to germinate.
    Another option - put down annual ryegrass to supplement the perennials.

4. Lazer Cut

forgot to add i would like something to pop up quick thats why 80/20 blend but be able to withstand the kids... I will also be fertilizing and could use help on that too

one key thing is I will be slit-seeding the playground area.

5. Lazer Cut

I just do not want to pick a 50/50 blend and the kids bluegrass not get a chance to come up and get a nice hold. 80/20 blend would have the rye pop up quickly and let the bluegrass get a chance to come up slowly... maybe flawed in my thinking? lol

thanks for the help guys. keep the advice coming

6. get KY 31 , its like green asphalt.

7. Lazer Cut

Ok... any suggestion in what brand?

8. The Rookie

I forgot to mention turner seed companies 5 way fescue. It has 5 different types of fescue mixed together. It blends well with existing turf. I would stay away from annual ryegrass. Slit seeding in 2 to 3 directions would encourage a thick turf. I personally dislike fertilizers unless they are organic. I would make sure to get a pesticide applicators license in case a little kid gets sick and the parents seen you applying fertilizer and decide to blame you.

9. Lazer Cut

ill most likely be subbing out the fert and weed part

10. The Rookie

Dormant seeding works good also if you get a snowfall ontop of the seeds. Snow has nitrogen in it and when it melts it helps your seed to soil contact.