grass seed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by shubble72, Oct 11, 2006.

1. shubble72

shubble72 LawnSite Member

I need to know if there is a good place with decent prices on turf-type or tall fescue. Need about 200 pounds.

2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

thrn type in your zip code

4. shubble72

Thanks but the cheapest i can find there is 2.07 a pound. I can get it around here for 1.40 i was hoping there was somewhere i could get it cheaper i am just overseeding ive already spent a fortune on the yard and was hoping to get a bargain since it was close to end of season.
    Thanks

5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

With grass seed, like a lot of other things, you get what you pay for.

6. shubble72

Ive spent anywhere from 20 a bag to 100 a bag and it dont matter it still wont grow.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

In years past......I had tried to overseed properties with seed from ''Bargain stores'' and not had very good luck. This year I started back and used Lesco seed and Fertilzer and have good sucess. Of course we had some fantastic overseed weather.

wayne

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I have had real good luck with the Lesco Transition Blend and the Pennington EnviroBlend. Got the Pennington at the Farmer's Coop Union here, but I am pretty sure you can get it at Lowes and Home Cheapo too. I think it was $1.60 a pound.

9. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If you've done adequate preparation and still can't get seed to grow, you better have a soil test done. Don't just check nutreints, also have them check soil type.
    With enough nutrients and water, you can actually make grass grow on concrete if you want to.

10. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you get good seed to soil contact? Did you aerate or slice seed? Have you done a soil test to determine the pH, and available P and K? Did you apply a starter fertilizer with the seed?

Regal Landscapes likes this.