grass seed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1999frontier, Oct 28, 2007.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I live in North Carolina and I had one of my customers to ask if I put grass seed down. (She just built her a new house) I told her I didn't b/c in NC you have to have a pesticide license to put down fertilizer. So my question is can I put down grass seed w/o pesticide license, and will the seed grow much without fert.? I'm looking to get my pesticide license in December. Can somebody please help me with this.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

A fertilizer is not a pesticide. The lawn care definition of a pesticide is something that kills a plant,insect, or fungus. You can apply a starter fertilizer, something like a '10-20-20', and be perfectly legal, as well as turf 'maintenance' fertilizers like 32-5-7 or 24-5-11. A fertilizer becomes a pesticide product when you buy it mixed with something, for example, like a 'weed and feed' or a 'fertilizer 32-5-10 + grub control'. And grass seed needs no license to apply, thank G! :waving:

Oh, and yes. Grass seed WILL grow WITHOUT starter fertilizer! Just not very WELL! So use it!
    (Fertilizer doesn't CAUSE seed germination, it just helps the plant establishment processes AFTER germination)

3. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Oh thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it was necessarily a pesticide, I just thought it was in the law somehow. Thanks for the advice.

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Is new seed lawn something you would like to do a lot of?

5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Im also interested in seeding/ liquid seeding. I have seen tons of companys doing it around here.