1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

grass seed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, May 19, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

what is the best grass seed for drought conditions? i usually use scotts brand seeds but just wondering if you guys have some secret way of buying in bulk that costs less..
  2. lars

lars LawnSite Member

Getting the right seed is a combination of finding the right species of grass and the right cultivars of grasses. If you are looking for grass that does well in dry conditions choose fine fescue or tall fescue (both cool season grasses). Tall fescue has very deep roots and a coarse texture. Fine fescue has a thinner leaf blade. Both require little in the form of nutrients.

I would also buy certified seed. This ensures the best cultivars (varites within the species), least weed seed content, and best germination rates. Also, check out www.ntep.org. It should give you a starting point for selecting the right grass.
  3. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

try your local Lesco dealer. I have had great suces with there seed and other products and they have a very knolagable staff.