1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass Seeds

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Gabby, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Looking for what would be the most heat/drought tolerant type of grass for up in the northeast. What I am looking for is what gives the darkest, richest green grass and can take heat/drought and not burn up. Kentucky Bluegrass is pretty dark green but it does not seem to be very heat tolerant. I am looking to over seed what is already there. Any help on this is most appreciated. Thanks.
  2. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a hot blonde who doesnt talk back, wants no $ and gives me my weekends off.
  3. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

kidding aside do you have shade, sun or both? For your area a Perenial Rye, Blue & Fescue mixture would be the choice. that being said any turf will burn up if not irrigated, mowed too low excessive traffic etc. etc. Every lawn is different. In an ideal setting the seed mixure i mentioned should work well.
  4. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Yeah don't we all. No such thing.
  5. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

I do have some shade. I have been hearing about this hybrid heat tolerant bluegrass. Where can I get it. Also heard from a friend who's commercial lawn guy told him about some new grass that roots really deep. Anyone heard of such a thing or is he just pulling my leg? Thanks.
  6. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

I have personally done hundreds of lawns in my day. In Louisville, KY which has similar weather to your area. I would use a high quality TTTF (Turf Type Tall Fescue) with 10% blue grass by weight mix. I have tried lots of blends, but keep going back to Confederate Plus blend. Other blends do OK, but you tend to have more weeds which are easy to control just after germination, but if you don't have to its even better. Of course, you also have to use was is available in your area.

The TTTF will give you the color and drought resistance you are looking for. The blue grass will fill in where the TTTF doesn't. The down side of TTTF is that you will need to over seed every few years to keep it very thick. The benefits are drought resistant, wears well in high traffic areas, keep it thick by over seeding and you should have almost no weeds without doing anything.

TTTF is very easy to take care of. Just cut it regularly, don't let it get too long during spring and early summer to prevent fungus. Then, let it get tall 3.5" during late summer. I over seed every fall, and I have a perfect weed free lawn without any chemical application to control weeds.

I also don't have irrigation and don't have the time to water given my job.

Hope this helps.

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

David, I'm in Louisville as well- couldn't agree more with you on the Confederate tip. It's all we use, got it in my yard as well.

Are your seeders in Home Depot?? Could have sworn I saw a bunch in the rental department this past weekend. I thought they had changed out their Bluebirds for Classens. Did you get in there?
  9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

We were using Southern Gold but Scotts bought the brand and I don't know if I can still trust it. I had no problems with it before rich dark green color and thick. When I saw the name Scotts on the bag I was pretty ticked.
  10. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

Yes, our 6-hp models are starting to show up in Home Depot Tool Rental Centers. They currently are in select KY, IN, NH, CT, and RI rental stores.