1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

grass slowing down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, Jun 29, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I have a couple of customers that have requested that I stop mowing every week to every 2 weeks. Due to the lack of rainfall and heat. What are your companies policies when it comes to slow growth due to the weather?
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on my initial agreement with them, some customers pay for " x " amount of cuts per year no matter what, others pay for the amount of times we actually cut, so sometimes when it's slow like now we have to bite the bullet on mowing, but fortunately we have plenty of other work ie: Hedge trimming, mulch installs ( yes, some people want it now ) paver installs, sod installs and so on.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Everything I do is on flat monthly contracts. They pay regardless.

I used to have this problem, same thing with snowfall.

I finally told my customers that I'm going to a flat fee, because I cannot support a family, or my business on a per time fee, especially if it doesn't rain / snow for a month or two or three.

I have responsibilties to uphold with equipment purchases, housing for my family, etc., and if they'd like to keep me as someone that's providing them with excellent lawn care, they'd have to follow suit.
  4. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I am actually glad its slowing down. Now I can finish some of my projects I have started for my non grass customers.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I started skipping a few weeks ago. Its good to see the grass slow down. I have pleanty of work in other areas.

6. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I skip when asked to. I will also skip if the lawn is starting draught stress. mowing a stressed lawn is bad for the lawn and will hinder recovery. Man its drying up too early this year. Time to start triming hedges.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Depends what your relationship is with them. There's no such thing as a "contract", it's a service agreement. Bottom line is, you have to do what they want if you want to keep their business. You can try to educate your customers but, not all have the grey matter to comprehend what you tell them. If you started cutting for a flat monthly fee and you explained how sometimes there are 5 weeks or 4 and if/when it gets dry you'll adjust your schedule, it all works out then you're good to go.
  8. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm noticing it up here in rehoboth ma. Just last week I changed the blade hight to the highest setting to protect what the customers have and prolong it just a little longer. Dam we need that rain from TN