Grass Stopper for Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnshark, May 27, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

We just spread 20 yards of mulch and we were told to spread this weed stopper with Teflan. It is granular and you put on top of the mulch. Has anyone ever used this and did it work? If so then I will use it regularly.
    thanks

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

pre-emergent...under the mulch

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i usually use PREEN and i always put it underneath the mulch. never seen anyone put it on top after mulching.

4. Rodney Anderson

Rodney Anderson LawnSite Member

Best bet is to apply SNAP SHOT it works extremely well
    and most pre-emergents for beds most be applied before mulchng and worked in to the existing mulch and soil to be effective. This may sound corny, but if you have existing grasses, especially grasses with ryzones, spray with Round-up and apply a couple layers of news paper under the mulch, yep it sounds some what backward but it works and the paper decomposes by the end of the year and it made of wood so try it and see. Oh by the way SNAP SHOT claims to control I think 111 labeled weeds.

5. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

I have used treflan pre-emergent on mulched beds..after much experimentation I have modified the suggested insrtcutions a bit. They say to apply over the mulch, which will keep back weeds from the soil and any that may be present in the mulch. I have found it better to apply about 1/4 of the reccomended amount needed for coverage under the mulch and the remainder on top. I have done this because in the past I had weeds come through and it seemed as though all that did were rooted on the soil, not the mulch. Also be sure you apply in a uniform manner or you will waste all your time. And be sure to blow any granuals off of any plants in the beds.