grass that germinates very fast

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grass disaster, Apr 12, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of grass seed germinates fast and is also annual

is rye grass the fastest thing out there?

2. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

Yup..........that is what I would use :)

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about annual, germinates and dies after one season? Or a perennial, keeps coming back out of dormancy season after season? Either case it is rye.If you plan to seed an all rye lawn, seed at a fairly rate,and get a good blend of turf type cultivars.With the right conditions, many times I have seen rye germinate in a few days.

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Annual rye germinates a few days faster than perennial rye. There is really no good reason to use annual rye on a lawn or other fine quality turf. The average winter in MN is too cold for perennial rye. I use to work at a golf course in St Paul where we would interseed our practice tee with perennial rye because it would fill in the divots fast. Almost every spring all of the perennial rye would be dead. It's ok to use in a seed blend if it is less than 25% of total seed.

5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

then what should i use i want something that is quick and grows every year.

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

tall fescue

7. PSUturf

Use a seed mix with not more than 25% perennial rye. This will germinate fast and act as a cover crop for the other turf. Other components in mix should be Kentucky Blue (about 50% of mix) and creeping and / or chewings fescue. Stay away from tall fescue, not a good choice for MN. % of fescue and Kentucky blue can vary but stay under 25% rye otherwise it will predominate. At less than 25% perennial rye if it did winter kill there would be enough of the other species to keep the lawn full.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn’t pay any attention you are in Minnesota. Some winter hardy cultivars of rye have been bred over the last 10 years, cold tolerant enough for Chicago anyway...But I agree with PSU turf, and would go with a mixture of Bluegrass, crewing fescue and ryegrass, instead of a rye blend. We use a blend of 20% percent each of three bluegrass cultivars that equals 60% Blue grass in the mixture, and 20% chewings fescue and 20% ryegrass that is excellent here in Chicago.Don't use Tall fescue, even the finer type types.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've been getting 5-7 day germination with the new varieties of KBG. I did a lawn two summers ago, 100% blue, 4 varities. Came up in 6 days. The owner is extremely happy. With that kind of performance, I'll stay away from the rust-loving Rye.:waving:

10. PSUturf

Hey Grassmechanic - Would you happen to know what those KBG varieties were or where you bought that seed? What were the weather conditions like when it was seeded?