1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass tracks on the sidewalk

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMGL&L, Apr 22, 2009.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Quick question....

My mowers always leave grass stains on the sidewalks and curbs when I roll over them. This happens just from the moisture in the grass. I'm not mowing in the rain or anything. Is there any tricks or tips anyine has to avoid this or anyway to clean up the stains? I tried using a backpack blower and brooms...it doesn't work. There are still green "grass juice" stains and little particles of grass stuck to the sidewalk.

...And A hose would be way too much of a pain in the butt to use so I won't do that either.

Does anyone have this same problem, or do you ignore the grass stains and wait for the rain to clean it up?

2. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

A problem here, too. Especially after the lawn's been fertilized. I just use my BP blower and get rid of the big stuff. The stains remain. No one has complained, yet. But, I'm sure they don't like the green grass stains on the driveway or walk.
  3. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

use your weedwacker. turn it on and angle and use the string to get most off it off, kinda of like a grinder
  4. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

If I know that staining is a possibility, I'll make turns in the grass then circle the yard after I'm done to clean up the edges--minimizing the trips across pavement.

I'll let you know late this week -- it's rained here for three days...

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly what I was going to tell ya!
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

+2, or get control of the fertilization to tone down spring N levels.
  7. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Very good idea. I didn't think of that one. I will try it this weekend and get back to this thread.

....and I thought there was nothing I could do....
  8. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I do.

I will try that trimmer thing:D
  9. Grass won't permanently stain concrete. The green is usually gone by the next time you mow. Black rubber tire tracks do leave a permanent mark.
  10. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, so by the time that they're gone, you're back to mark up the cement again! LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh: