Grass Tracks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A&J, Jul 24, 2008.

1. A&J

A&J LawnSite Member

I need some help here. I have an 8 year old Airens 21", self-propelled trim mower. I have been using the mulch set up since I got it. For the last two weeks, it has been leaving grass tracks in the lawn. I also use it for small jobs. These tracks are left by the wheels. I put new skins on them and a new blade. Any ideas what might cause this? thanks

2. Welcome to the forum!

These grass tracks, are they where the grass lays down and is longer where the wheels go over it? If that's what it is it can be countered by changing your mowing pattern. But that only helps somewhat.

The real problem is lack of nitrogen in the lawn. The grass is just too weak to straighten it's self back up after having been mowed. As we go further into summer the grass gets stress from the heat making this problem worse.

The best thing would be to get a soil test. They're cheap. They're easy. And they tell you exactly how much of what type fertilizer to use. So it can actually save money.
    Get them done thru your county extension agent or a private lab. I get mine done thru Lesco.

3. A&J

A&J LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply David, but I guess I didn't't explain it quite right. These grass tracks are actually the grass that I just mowed and it seems that it's packing itself on the wheels then rolling off and leaving freshly cut grass trails where the wheels go. This happens when the grass is dry. I'm wonder if my mower's mulching plate is just plain tired. Thanks

4. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

A&J:

maybe the blades need to be resharpened?

5. Oh, I understand, I get those too. It's from when I try to mulch too much for the mower to handle. Then it lays a little line of clippings on the right side. When the wheel rolls over it. It looks like the tire caused it. But really it's just too much grass.
    I figured it out with my 21"Honda. It has an adjustable baffle which allows me to mulch or bag different amounts. Most of the time I can mulch 100% but some weeks I have to bag about 30% to stop the line of grass. Plus the Honda has a deflector so I can mulch part and discharge part of the clippings so the line of grass doesn't appear.
    The lines never seem so bad the day I'm mowing because they're still green. But when I come back the next week to mow there are all of these little brown lines across the lawn.
    Can you mulch and discharge a little at the same time with your Airens?

6. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

there are a few reasons tires leave dead tracks in the grass. It usually happens in the summer when the grass is more stressed due to heat etc..., but another reason is a fungus in the lawn that is spread by the tire.

7. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i think u missundestood the question.

8. A&J

A&J LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. My Ariens is an older 3 in 1 mower so I could try the discharge. I like the idea of a fungus though because I do get dead spots in my lawn. I'll take a soil sample to the EMU extension office and see if they can test it for me .