grass variety resistent to heat/lack of rain

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by coachgrd, Apr 16, 2006.

1. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

My yard sits on nothing but bank gravel, which I simply raked and seeded when we built the house. (At the time I had no funds left to bring in and spread 1-2" of nice topsoil.) The bank gravel is great for drainage reasons...I can walk anywhere on the grass 5 minutes after a heavy rainstorm without encountering a puddle. BUT...one spell of dry, hot weather and poof! the grass looks like the Sahara. I know the ultimate solution is the top dress it with a good top soil but I cannot imagine there isn't a variety of grass that would stand up better that what I have now. Currently I have a blend formulated by Penn State for my area (Lake Erie shorline.) If I reacall correctly, there's a decent percentage of Bluegrass & Fescue in the mix. Can any of you offer me a variety that might hold up better until I can afford to top dress?

Thanks in advance,
    coachgrd

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

"Thermal" Bluegrass spreads quickly.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Dwarf Turf Type Tall Fescue is propbably the best for you area. Lexsco sells it under their "Tea Mates" line. Puts down good deep roots. But in grave??? Good luck...