1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass/weed ID

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by avguy, Nov 11, 2012.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

My first thought was Zoysia. Seen in on several of the courses in SC. Roots sure look like it or it may be a Bermuda strain. Those seeds are so small that they could have blown in from almost anywhere. I'd leave it. That mat looks like Zoysia.
  2. Dave Stuart

Dave Stuart LawnSite Member

This sample has all the characteristics of creeping bentgrass, leaf tip flat/ prominent midvein / margins have rough edges/ rolled in the leaf bud.

You are geographically in the Appalachian area ( higher elevation ) where it gets cooler than the rest of the state, it has been known that cool season varieties make there way in from time to time. Although they do not survive long.

This type is a cool season stoloniferous habit growth propagator it creeps just like your southern grasses.

3. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

UPDATE: I dropped off a sample to my local extention office and they confirmed that it is Nimblewill. I'll have to wait until spring & then hit it with some gly. Thanks again for everyone's input!