Grass & Weed killer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn boi, Aug 31, 2006.

1. lawn boi

lawn boi LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Can anyone help me wth some professional grade Grass/Weed killer? That will help with brush too?
    I am in south east Georgia.

Spraying around privacy fences.

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have a pesticide license (required for any commercial application of any substance that kills anything) generic glyphosate (roundup) will work. 2 ounces per gallon will work on most grasses, 8 ounces per gallon will kill woody plants and vines.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i like spectracide for my own use, as i can't spray it commercialy. i got the gallon with the battery sprayer and it kills off the weeds and grass in about 6 hours.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

have you tried it? it isn't very cheap but it really works, in about 6 hours there is nothing left but the dead plant. i used the standard killer (roundup) and was not too happy, but i would guess that this stuff is far more toxic.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would say that if you are getting kill in 6 hours then it has a burn-down added to it. Round up mixed with Scythe (pelargonic acid) has given me visible results in 45 minutes. Unfortunately, I don't theink enough of the RU got into tghe plant, because some came back soon after. Plain old Glyphosate is great. Takes a week or so, but it kills the plant all the way. 2-3 ounces will kill most of your little stuff. 4-8 for the big, really tenacious weeds. For weeds with a heavy. waxy coating on the leaf I do like to spike it with a little scythe, maybe a 1% solution.

7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree , the only thing that i know of that will kill that fast is gramaxone max . and the it only does it that fast if it is super hot outside.

8. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

yhea, ive noticed that also... the herbicidal soaps added to some of the newer formulations of grass/brush killers (among other things too) seem to actually reduce the effectiveness of the original product it was designed to supplement.

my assumption is that its merely an addition to give joe schmoe homeowner some confidence in the product. all the additives do is burn the foilage, no more no less. if the burn is too severe too quickly then enough of the actual herbicide wont translocate thru the plant hence poor results.

glyphosate and 2-4.d tankmixed together do quite a fine job, add some liquid dish soap as a sticker for even better performance.