Grass wont grow along wall?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by troblandscape, Jul 8, 2003.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I did a grading and seeding job about 2 months ago, In the one area there was a new retaining wall I planted grass seed right up to it. I grass came up strong but is now dead about a foot out from the wall? It looks really weird almost like the wall is toxic.
    What do you think? Thanks
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

is it a south facing wall? It could be heat reflecting off wall and burning the turf.
    It also could be soil ph from the base used. If it was limestone base it could have changed the soil ph.
    Just a couple thoughts, I am sure there are others.

Another cause I have seen is when some fert companies fert, they walk right along wall with spreader causeing fert to hit wall and bounce back onto turf at base of wall. This would cause an overdose along the wall and could have damaged the turf.
  3. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

Ther is probably a footer and depending on what clim you live in it might be only a few inches below grade. Also that reflection is called albedo and its a killer.

Also any combination of things contributing to this dead grass.
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

What's the wall made of? Is it stone, concrete, wood?
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Good question there....

If masonry is involved it could be any number of things. If it's wood, it's very likely it could be run off from whatever was used to preserve the wood. This could also carry over to any masonry structure as well. Many things toxic to grass are used to seal/coat masonry walls to help reduce the ill effects of weathering.

If you don't think it's sun/heat reflection, check the soil PH as someone else said. If it's not that, remove and replace or back fill over the effected area with fresh topsoil. Then re-seed.

The reason I say this is, if it's masonry and it's not a PH issue, it's very likely that the soil nearby is poisoned with acids that are used to clean up the exterior.
  6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

If there were poisons or anything else toxic in the soil that would have killed the grass the seeds would never have grown to begin with. The run off and fert theories could be the cause. Again As others have said what is the wall made of :confused:
  7. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

The way it sounds to me the grading and seeding was done directly after the wall was built. The grass sprouted, and it sounds like it would take a little time for the acids or other poisons to seep into the soil. Therefore the grass could have grown for a little while until the poisons were too highly concentrated and killed it. Just my interpretation
  8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

yes you could be right I think we need a bit more info on the wall itself
  9. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

The wall is a concrete interlocking retaining wall, the wall was about a year old when I seeded it. I will be getting some pics up soon. I really appreciate all the replies
  10. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

Well, that saves you from putting Roundup along the wall to avoid trimming!

Maybe an animal running along the wall?