1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

grass won't grow..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylandscaping, Oct 18, 2003.

1. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been working on a property for the last two years trying to get grass to grow in their backyard. I have everything I can think of and nothing has worked. I have tried sod, and several different types of grass seed. The lot is shaded but not enough to prevent light from getting through (i.e. the problem doesn't have to do with the amount of light). The homeowner's had a soil test done three years ago and they told me it came back ok. I recommended letting me do a soil test, but they refused "Nothing has changed in three years Steve, the soil is fine". We did get grass to grow but it is very thin. Re-seeded it twice and no improvement. He watered as instructed. No grubs or insects. But anyway, I was there today trimming the shrubs and I took some pictures.. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

picture 247.jpg
  2. qualitylandscaping

picture 248.jpg
  3. qualitylandscaping

The problem area is inside the line in the direction the arrows are pointing..

picture 249.jpg
  4. qualitylandscaping

last one..

picture 253.jpg
  5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Aerate, overseed (with a shade mix), up the N, add some organic matter.
  6. qualitylandscaping

already been done..
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Chop the trees down.

Not only are they the cause chemically, but also solarly, and they are like an umbrella in the rain.
  8. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Seen this same problem many times. The 2 large trees are blocking the sun. To get turf to really thrive it needs atleast a half day of full sun. Also, you may have over seeded with red fescue (a common seed used for shady areas). In my experience, this stuff will never form a nice lawn. It's thin, slow growing and tends to clump rather than spread. My advice to customers with this problem is to either remove the trees or put in a new bed with azaleas, hostas etc. Forget the grass, it aint gonna happen.
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

right on VLM...does not matter what seed is used, a shady area needs a min of 4 hours of sun per day. have a number of customers in a shady neighborhood. EVERY yard is thin..even after numerous seedings. On my own property I am watching a section get thinner and thinner each year as the honey locusts get larger in the yard.

Solution? Like VLM said, install a planting bed in the shaded area...or remove the trees (not an option most people will go for)
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with tommy...86 the trees if they want decent grass there.