1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by guntruck, Feb 10, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Where can i get some good information on different types of grasses. Im going to start aeration and overseeding this year and would like to know where i can find out what grasses are best for around here.

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with the local chapter of the PGMS. In the DC area, we use improved tall fescues with a small % of bluegrass mixed in for good residential lawns. The Maryland Turfgrass Council can help you also. Contacting the U. of Maryland is probably the best way to get in touch with these various organizations.
  3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Try contacting the Lesco in your area. They will be able to tell you the information you need to know. If this is not an option, talk to a local nursery or someone who does hydro-seeding. They too will be able to point you in the direction as to what seed types are the best for your geographical location. Sometimes places such as Lowe's or HomeDepot will sell a "contractors mix" and this can give you an idea on where to start as well.

Hope this helps.
  5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

It has come to my attention that my posted links are not good ones (the E-mail at MDU might be good). I got these from the December issue of Landscape Management and I apologize for not checking them before posting them. I will be contacting them to find out what's up.

It has been my experience that any seed labeled "contractor's mix" is a cheap seed consisting of mostly inferior annual ryes that don't grow in thick & die off quick. They are marketed to contractors that need to get turf established extremely quickly, usually to obtain Certificates of Occupancy for the building or home they use it at. I have gotten many turf renovation, or at least overseeding jobs after people used "contractor's mixes".
  6. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

Try your local LESCO they should know what is best for your area. That is how I use and the seed has worked great for me so far. .02 cents