Grasshoper vs Scag vs Woods

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 evergreen lawncare, Jun 2, 2003.

1. 4 evergreen lawncare

4 evergreen lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

What is your honest opinion on a front mount vs. the mid mount? I have a 61 inch scag mid mount and am ready to purchase another mower. I have been looking at Grasshopper and Woods front mount and was wanting the pros and cons to the front mount vs the mid mount. Thanks

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

4 evergreen
    The out fronts are Longer & Don't Clime As well But They trim Better And they have Easy to put on Attachments.
    If You looked at the NEW Woods it seems like they are making big improvements Like Bigger tires,Gas tanks over the wheels, Faster Ground speeds, suspension seat.
    Since You have a Mid, Maybe Front mount Would be Good to Have.
    John.

3. 4 evergreen lawncare

from Midwest

Thanks John that is the way I have been leaning just to have some variables. I do think that Woods is in the right direction with their improvements. I know face the question of Woods vs. Grasshopper. I tend to see more Grasshoppers in my area over the Woods machines. I am starting to see alot of Hustlers and Great Danes also. But neiter of these compaies make the front mount and I really don't know anything about their reputation as far as durabilityand reliabilty. Thanks again. I also like the comvience of the flip up decks on the Grasshoppers makes for easy maintenance.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Woods Is Made By Gravely. if you Go into woodsonline.com, You Can See the Video On the New Mower.
    John

5. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

I have a Grasshopper 725 G2 that I bought new. I demo'd all the competition both outfront and midmount and for my needs the outfront deck Grasshopper G2 was the best. Now that I've had it awhile I can tell you that I don't like the sloppiness in the linkage to the wheels in front of the deck. I've heard guys on here say that they've put bushings in when the linkage wears too much and its hard to get it to cut nice once that happens. The flipup deck is quick and easy. The rear wheels also get alot of end-play after only 50 or 60 hours. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. I disagreed and fixed it my self by grinding off some of the shaft that fits between the 2 bearings. No endplay now. Outfront deck is great for mowing under trees, decks, etc. Good luck whatever your choice is.:)

6. 4 evergreen lawncare

from Midwest

If you were to do it again would by another grasshopper or try a different company?

7. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

Matt, we're pretty close to each other and this is big Grasshopper territory here. Can't say i've ever seen a Woods in action. We have three Grasshopper dealers within 30 miles of each other around the Owensboro/Evansville area. I know many Grasshopper users and they're happy with their choice. Hope this helps ya!!

MARK

8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

What about a Walker? You can change it to any size deck you want, it mulches, bags, discharges? Easy flip up deck, very nice cut. Just a thought

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had a Grasshopper 721D that I bought used as a backup machine. The machine had 3000 hrs on it when I bought it and mowed great. Currently I have two Grasshopper midmounts and plan on adding a Grasshopper front deck machine next year. I really like the way the machines are built. I toured the factory before buying, and was really impressed with their quality control.
    Woods has never built their own machines. Grasshopper built them for Woods for several years. Now, it seems that they have someone else building them. Personally, I would buy from a company that builds their own machines. :)

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Use to sell GH and Scags. Would not take two GH for one Scag. I just think GH are a POS.... IMHO