Grasshopper 124

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KS_Grasscutter, Jun 7, 2008.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, need info on this unit. I may have the opportunity to buy out a local guy, has a 124 Grasshopper (48" I believe). I think he wants $5500 for it. (I assume) his 5 accounts would be included with that. So assuming $1000 for the accounts ($200 a piece), that would allow $4500 for the mower, it is like new I guess (I sold him my trailer last fall, he was just starting out, getting ready to buy the mower, I know it has only ran this season). Would I be able to get that much out of it in trade for a new 223, assuming it only has 50-60 hours on it? It comes with the 2 bag catcher for that model.

2. montiac30

montiac30 LawnSite Member

Just keep it.It has lots of power and can get into small gated yards.Very nice cut.I paid $5200 for mine brand new and love it.I can can see were you might want to step up to the 223 if you have bigger properties.I do alot of high end residential stuff with small gates.I don't think you would have problem getting $4500 trade in.

3. KS_Grasscutter

I have a 42" Walker for gates. Want a 223 to increase productivity on big stuff.

4. KS_Grasscutter

Anyone else?

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

As a former , (retired) Grasshopper dealer, I believe the dealer cost on that machine is about $4500.00. I doubt you can get that much on a trade.

6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Trade ins take a major hit, especially when they are only a year old with very few hours. The dealer has to think about reselling an almost new machine for an almost new price. For $300-500 more, a customer might as well buy a new machine with full warranty and know it has never been abused. With the catcher, you might be able to get $4000-4500 out of it. I would probably try to sell it straight out for $4500 without bothering the dealer. I looked at a couple of used Grasshopper 721D's for sale at a local mower dealer and asked the sales guy what he thought he could allow for my 2007 Ferris with (at the time) less than 100 hrs, just out of curiosity. I told him it was over $6000 new and he said probably about half that. Needless to say, I wasn't about to make an even trade on a brand new Ferris for a Grasshopper with over 2000 hours.

7. KS_Grasscutter

I ran it a little today. Cuts GREAT, only has 23 hours. Has the 24hp B/S engine. I DON'T want or need this mower, but do want the accounts. Anyone want it for $4750, assuming I get it bought?