grasshopper 18/48", is it under powered?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Jan 12, 2005.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

does anybody own a grass hopper 218? does it handle high grass good?

the 18 hp engine seems a littler under powered to me but you never know.

2. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I dont know to much about that one in question but i did try the 223/52 and loved it :waving:

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 22hp 61" with no problems. It is a diesel tho. I don't have a need for anymore power. Just depends on what you use it for.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

An 18 hp engine on a 48" deck should not be underpowered. It should handle tall grass with no problem but anything bigger than a 48 and it would be underpowered. Hope this helps.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We have sold several 218's to homeowners, and they seem very happy with them. If you were into heavy cutting, as a commercial mowing contractor, then I would probably want 20HP. I think in heavy conditions, that 18hp might struggle a little. I say this as both a dealer, and as a mowing contractor.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

but for normal cutting, the 18hp should be ok, right?

mowingman, how much does the 218 go for in texas?
    right now my dealer is selling them for $7,000. it seems a little steep to me, but when you have to ship it over from the mainland I guess it's what you got to expect.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, for normal cutting, the 18hp Kohler is just fine. Our price here is about $5995.00. I am sure shipping would add a lot to your price.