Grasshopper 1822

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by msd_woody, Jun 18, 2004.

1. msd_woody

msd_woody LawnSite Member

I think I found the mower I want. It's a 1995 Grasshopper model 1822 with a 52" deck, 47" snowblower (used twice), grass collector, and an 18HP Kubota diesel with 1240 hours. Owner said the hydrostatic drive units were just replaced as well as the seat. Supposed to be garage kept and rust free. I have a Ransomes front mount mower now and love it. I've been looking to buy a snowblower for my driveway and this mower also has an 8" wider cut than my Ransomes. He's asking $3000 for it. Is this price reasonable? Are these reliable machines?

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

price is great and yes they are reliable to death i run 2 of them and my dad has 1 so we have a few and no problems ever with them

3. AZT

AZT LawnSite Member
    from sw mo.

The model 1822 was last made in 1987 it was replaced with 721D in 1988.

4. notforprofit

notforprofit LawnSite Member

MSD-

I'm not too far from you in PA. If you decide your not interested in the unit, I might be. I'll check back here or PM me. Thanks

5. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Guys I got an 1855 with 239 homeowner hrs with collection system. PM me if U want it.

6. msd_woody

msd_woody LawnSite Member

Why is it that people are never right on the ages of machines - do they just guess badly or do they do it intentionally thinking people won't research it and therefore pay a higher price? Anyway, being that this machine is now 17-20 years old instead of 10, is the asking price of $3000 reasonable? I was going to offer $2500, but now I'm thinking less. I don't mine paying a fair price, I just don't like getting ripped off. I also don't want to drive 1-1/2 hours and insult the guy by offering him too little and end up not getting the machine at all. If the hours are true and the drive units were replaced (says he can show me a receipt) and the snow blower is like new, what kind of price are we talking for a 17+ year-old machine?

7. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

I'm wondering why he would replace the drive units (especially on such an old mower) if getting ready to sell it? How about contacting the repair shop (from the receipt) to ask if additional repairs were necessary/recommended. If it's really in decent shape, a Grasshopper is an excellent choice.